Sunday, May 22, 2016

Tell it like it Is...


  From a family of diabetics, I started out a hypoglycemic. I spent many years of my childhood getting 5 hour glucose tolerance tests to find out just how badly hypoglycemic I was. (Bad.)  For those who haven't had the pleasure, you get a nice cup of glucose to drink in a minimal time, and if you are really unlucky they flavor it like a pop flavor you like. You will probably never drink that flavor pop again because the glucose is so sickeningly sweet it puts you off that sugared flavor for the rest of your life. (Orange and coke went away that way for me, until I got smart and just drank it straight.) Then your blood is taken at half hour and hour intervals for 5 hours and your other symptoms such as mania or sleepiness are noted.

I've been blessed with "classic migraines," since before my menses hit at 10. I think my first migraine hit at 8.  In that time of my family's past we were seeing a Osteopath for a doctor. He believed in "adjusting the neck," for migraine pain. Because of the pain and horror of those sessions and how they increased the pain in my neck I have refused to ever see a chiropractor and I would barely see my message therapist. I only went to her because she was a friend long before she learned to give massages.


I had some of the really scary vision effects and aura hit me in Middle School so by High School I was on a full preventative regimen and rescue drug; aspirin was where you started way back when, but when five at a time didn't help and you accidently gave yourself aspirin poisoning you moved to your own feverfew plant: cafergot, fiorecet, fiorinal, Inderal and other beta blockers all before I was 18 to try to control the pain as well as shots of Demerol and Phenergan in the ER to knock me out so that I could sleep through the piercing pain. I remember many trips with me whimpering and my face buried in my Dad's chest to block out light and sound and my knuckles clenched until they were fisted white.

None of this stopped me from playing sports full tilt hard enough to do permanent damage to my ankles that required surgical repair, and my back which made me the proud owner of one of the first TENS packs. (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) The unit looked like a big, blue plastic sticky cube with a battery on a Velcro belt that went around your body with the electrode (Yes, single.) being placed over the area of worst pain.

The newer units are about the size of a cigarette pack and hold a 9 volt battery and have 2 sets of electrical leads that plug into the top to attack to electrodes that you can stick quite a few places on your body. You can buy reusable electrodes that the leads connect into and adjust the strength of the pulse and the amplitude of the electrical wave. It works on the theory that it interferes with the pain signal sent through your nerves and so you don't feel it, and it works to a certain extent.  But I described it recently to my Internist as throwing a cup of water at a forest fire...when ALL the nerves there are sending signals and only SOME are interrupted it is only partially effective.
TENS unit with electrodes and wires

I've finally learned to tell it like it is in physical therapy, and with doctors. Its only taken me over 40 years to break my early training! LOL

For my other thoughts on current poisons some of which are colors you can see my other blog. But we are also given poisons as medicine. These things we just down on the doctor's say so. The supplements and vitamins we ingest as well. All are poisons in the wrong amounts. You can even poison yourself with too much water. So I'm pretty careful with how I keep track of what I use. I'm planning to write a blog post about it here and I'll link to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment